Thursday, December 17, 2015

This week's Bible study will be 2nd Timothy chapter one

A Spirit of Power Given From God
by Rev. Paul J. Bern



Today we will begin an in-depth study from a Progressive Christian point of view of Paul's 2nd letter to Timothy, better known as Second Timothy. As we open today's study, we find the apostle Paul writing a letter of encouragement to Timothy. As you will see, Paul has been imprisoned once again for preaching the Gospel. He is exhorting Timothy in his absence to keep up his good work for the Lord, and even more importantly, to continue to keep himself pure in his daily walk with Christ – just as we all should strive to be perfecting ourselves in our own lives. So without further comment, let's begin at the first verse of chapter one.



Paul, an apostle of Christ Jesus by the will of God, according to the promise of life that is in Christ Jesus, to Timothy, my dear son: Grace, mercy and peace from God the Father and Christ Jesus our Lord. I thank God, whom I serve as my forefathers did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. I have been reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also. For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” (2 Timothy chapter one, verses 1-7, NIV)



The first thing that jumps out at me here is Paul calling Timothy “my dear son”. Since there is mention of only Timothy's mother and grandmother, and none of his father, I think it is reasonable to assume that Timothy's biological father probably died when Timothy was still young. So Paul, in effect, is telling Timothy that he should consider himself adopted. He hadn't had an earthly father in his youth, so Paul evidently took up the responsibility for his mentoring and coaching, as we can clearly see here. I grew up in a foster home, and my foster-dad died just after my 12th birthday, so I also know what it's like to grow up without a father. But an Old Testament prophet wrote, “You are my son; today I have become your father, thus says the Lord your God”. I can personally attest to the fact that all of the kids who grew up without dads can take great consolation in knowing that we each have a heavenly Father who looks down on us and guides us, who protects us from harm, and who seeks a personal relationship with each of us. The Lord God Almighty is our heavenly Father who is our provider and our protector, of that you can all be sure. Moreover, God sent his only Son to save the world from its numerous sins, and Jesus Christ was in fact executed by the Roman Empire by being nailed to a cross, and He became the ultimate sacrifice by substituting himself for the animal sacrifices of several thousand years ago. Then, after lying in a borrowed grave for three days and three nights, Jesus Christ became the only man in recorded history who ever rose from the dead and gain immortality. That's the gift God has given every one of us, the gift of salvation through eternal life in Christ. Now that's what I call having an awesome dad!!



Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy.” Evidently Paul and Timothy had been together long before Paul had been locked up, or Timothy may have visited Paul in prison. Either way, their parting was apparently an emotional one. This is noteworthy because it was 2,000 years ago, and so to see grown men weeping must have been very rare back then. They have an unmistakable affection for one another. Paul then makes reference to Timothy's upbringing as being the reason for his being filled with the Holy Spirit, which he undoubtedly was. All you parents should take note of this because it is still just as applicable today. It is absolutely crucial in a child's development to bring them up in the ways and teachings of Jesus Christ. This doesn't necessarily mean everybody suddenly has to become religious, which is defined as dogma that originates from the minds of imperfect men. But the teachings of Jesus Christ are taken right out of the Bible, and they are interpreted exactly as they are written. The teachings of Jesus Christ supersedes religion and all things religious.



For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God … For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a Spirit of power, of love and of self-discipline.” The Bible says repeatedly that God is “a consuming fire”, and I'm certain that that's what Paul was referring to when he wrote these words. If God is a consuming fire, then we fan the flame that personifies the gift of God. We do this by acts of faith, hope, charity and being merciful to others whether we think they deserve it or not. Paul wrote that God's Spirit is the exact opposite of timid. That Spirit is one of unimaginable power, unconditional love, self-discipline and with great fortitude. While mere men and women like ourselves have physical and mental limitations, God has no such limitations. Therefore that which He can do for us, if only we will ask him with humility and thankfulness, has no limits at all. Bearing that in mind, let's conclude today's study starting at verse eight.



So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord, or ashamed of me his prisoner. But join with me in suffering for the Gospel, by the power of God, who has saved us and called us to a holy life – not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus, who has destroyed death and has brought life and immortality to light through the Gospel. And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed, and am convinced that he is able to guard what I have entrusted to him for that day. What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us. You know that everyone in the province of Asia has deserted me, including Phygelus and Hermogenes. May the Lord show mercy to the house of Onesiphorus, because he often refreshed me and was not ashamed of my chains. On the contrary, when he was in Rome, he searched hard for me until he found me. May the Lord grant that he will find mercy from the Lord on that day! You know very well in how many ways he helped me in Ephesus.” (2 Timothy chapter 1, verses 8-18, NIV)



“So do not be ashamed to testify about our Lord … who has saved us and called us to a holy life – not because of anything we have done but because of his own purpose and grace. This grace was given us in Christ Jesus before the beginning of time, but it has now been revealed through the appearing of our Savior, Christ Jesus...”. In the same way that Paul was charging Timothy with the task of spreading the Gospel, we as readers are similarly charged with this same task. By the same token, that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone should take the first available plane or boat to the 3rd world country of their choice and become missionaries. Not everyone is called to be a missionary, nor are all evangelists, teachers, helpers, musicians and administrators, and so on. But those who don't stand in front of groups or go to churches and preach or teach aren't excused from spreading the Gospel. If we're not called to step up to a microphone (and not everyone is), then we should be leading and witnessing by example. How well do we treat others? Are we compassionate, considerate and generous? Do we stop first before acting and ask, “What would Jesus do?” 
 


Nothing that we do on our own, no matter how well-intentioned, can enable us to come home and be with God for all eternity when our bodies wear out and die. Only Jesus, and no one else, can save us from our sins against God. “All have sinned”, king David wrote, “and fallen short of the glory of God”. So by the grace of Jesus Christ, which was given to us before the beginning of time, we are saved from condemnation and by no other means. “And of this gospel I was appointed a herald and an apostle and a teacher. That is why I am suffering as I am. Yet I am not ashamed, because I know whom I have believed... ”. Paul was appointed to be a herald and a teacher for the Gospel of Jesus. In a way so am I, although in my case “apostle” might be stretching it a little bit. As you all can clearly see by my writings, I am not the least bit ashamed of my faith either. Although I am not suffering for my faith, I don't draw a salary or derive much income from this web site. I don't do this for the money, I do this as a form of praise unto God, “through whom all blessings flow”. Paul wrote that he knew full well what he believed in, and so do I, so we are at least somewhat alike in that regard.



What you heard from me, keep as the pattern of sound teaching, with faith and love in Christ Jesus. Guard the good deposit that was entrusted to you – guard it with the help of the Holy Spirit who lives in us.” In the same way, what you read here from me, try to put it into practice in the most practical and user-friendly way that you can. As I wrote earlier, there is no singular way to praise and worship God, and to lift up the most holy and sacred name of Jesus. There are a myriad of ways to do this. If you're not sure how to proceed, pause and talk to God about it. There's never a charge for consulting with His Majesty the Lord. Pray to him and ask for guidance. He loves you immeasurably and will be very happy to assist you. Until next time, let go and let God be your guide.


No comments:

Post a Comment